Experience a whole new virtual world of networking with leaders in IABC.
- Connect, interact, move seamlessly in and out of conversations.
- It’s simple and elegant. It’s Topia.io.
- Don’t miss out on valuable connections, trivia, and prizes!
- Plus, you’ll get a sneak peek into the latest news from IABC Southern Region.
Tips & Tricks for Getting Started on Topia.io
- You’ll get your own avatar and learn to move through our virtual rooftop space.
- We’ll be connecting in one-on-one speed-networking spurts as well as meeting up in small groups.
- We can’t wait to see you!
Join the conversation on your desktop or laptop in Google’s Chrome browser only.
(It’s also best if you completely close out of Zoom while interacting in Topia.io.)
- This is an emerging—still in development—technology. It was just made available in August of 2020.
- We hope you’ll enjoy the chance to leave behind the Zoom fatigue and spend some time exploring this whole new virtual world with us.
- We hope in the future, it will become accessible on mobile and from other browsers.
Because Topia.io is so new, and IABC Southern Region is so new to Topia.io, we ask for your patience (and will want your feedback) as we navigate this first event together!
BTW—Topia…like Utopia? How clever!
Log in to your own account with an email address for access to all functionality including your personal message box—and the ability to someday make your own Topia.io virtual worlds!
- Visit the URL you’ll receive once you’ve RSVP’d to get started.
- Below the display name input, the disclaimer checkboxes, and the blue “Join” button is the Login link.
- Click that to establish your own account.
- Then, use your full name as your display name, so the people you meet will know who exactly who you are.
- Finally, click the blue “Join” button to enter the reception space!
Log in early and explore the rooftop space designed exclusively for leaders in our IABC Southern Region by our event sponsor, just a little laugh productions.
- Use the arrow keys and your mouse to move your avatar.
- You can move your footsteps in a direction or towards an object and your avatar will take off in that direction.
- If you hover over your avatar and click when you see the chair, your avatar will sit right down!
Move your avatar in near to others to join in a conversation—just like real-life networking.
- Topia.io is a spatial virtual chat platform.
- You’ll notice that as you approach and leave other avatars within the space, their video chat windows will appear and disappear. So, you can move away from others to have private one-on-one conversations!
- When we make announcements you can move to the rows of chairs in the area in front of the speakers’ podium. (But, don’t worry—announcers will be broadcasted, so everyone can hear and see them from wherever they are within our reception space.)
- Login as early as 11:30 a.m. Central to practice—networking begins at 12:00 p.m. Central.
Exchange contact information with networking contacts in the personal message box.
- To get started, click on the envelope icon that appears in the upper left of your friend’s video chat window.
- You might find it handy to have a digital note pad application open on your computer, so you can cut/paste your email address and/or LinkedIn profile URL. (And, keep track of the contact information you receive in return!)
- This takes the place of exchanging business cards!
- Other icons within virtual chat windows include:
- the sound icon in the lower left, where you can mute yourself and others;
- occasionally, a megaphone icon will appear in the upper right, indicating someone who’s broadcasting to the entire world; and
- occasionally, a square icon will appear in the lower right, indicating your ability to pull that broadcaster into a pop-up window, so you can focus on their announcements.
Zoom in and out of the rooftop space using your browser controls.
- It’s probably Cntrl+ or Cmd+ to zoom in, and Cntrl– or Cmd– to zoom out.
- Get the lay of the land by zooming out, then zoom in to connect with others.
- You can also click on the map board to see the whole environment in a pop-up window.
- If you click the information desk, you’ll see a pop-up that displays this very URL with tips, tricks, and links to all of the information shared within the reception Topia!
Get the latest news by clicking on the blue information banners.
- These are available to help reinforce the Southern Region announcements we’ll be making throughout the event.
- Any of the pop-up windows you discover after clicking with your pointer finger may appear blank at first, but be sure to give it some time to populate (remember, still developing tech at play here)
Stop by the trivia kiosk and give your best shot at winning
- $50 gift cards,
- on-demand workshops, and
- conference registration giveaways.
We look forward to seeing you very soon!
- Virtual Networking Event with Leaders in the IABC Southern Region
- Wednesday, Feb. 17, 12–1 p.m. Central
- IABC Rooftop Topia open from 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. Central
Pro-Tip: If you click on the blue information banners within our reception space, you’ll see a pop-up window that takes you to the same places as the links below!
Mark Evans, SCMP—Past Chair
John Harris—Vice Chair
Mary Francis—VP, Conference
- On-Demand Professional Development
- Please let us know how you think we should plan our 2021 Conference!
Alison Shuman—VP, Awards
Jordan Nagel—VP, Leadership Development
Shelley Nelson—Secretary & Jennie L. Lamb—VP, Communications